10 April 2010

Vault Door.




This is the photo that originally caught my attention.








This is the original photo.



















I'm always intrigued by photography. I think my favorite part of photography is how a person can dictate what is included (and also, what is left out). The banner (top image) was the original culprit of my interest - a cross-section view of a vault door in b&w with added focus to accentuate each lever.

I followed my nose and stumbled upon the original photograph (second image) which included a larger portrayal of the vault door. I was surprised to find this, after having been satisfied with the smaller section shown in the first picture I found. This made me wonder: am I better off having seen the whole door? Or was it more satisfying to have seen just a glimpse of it.

This line of thinking applies in all things we do. Sometimes things seem more appealing when ingesting a small glimpse or taste of it. We can appreciate a higher quantity of things when they come in small doses--that is what our culture is thriving off of at this very moment. The flip side to this? Maybe I really was better off having seen the larger picture of the vault door. The detail captured by the photographer's camera of the bottom levers/bolts/knobs/etc. is truly beautiful.

Moral of this story: Don't let the photographer behind the lens dictate what you see. If you stumble across something that truly intrigues you, do your homework and look for the bigger picture.